For more than six years, the International Partnership for Nuclear Disarmament Verification has brought together technical and policy experts from more than 25 countries with and without nuclear weapons to address the complex challenges of nuclear disarmament verification. Partnership meetings, activities, and exercises have been designed to better understand concepts and approaches for verifying and monitoring nuclear disarmament, and to develop potential procedures and technologies to address challenges. So, what has been learned?
Senior leaders and IPNDV experts hosted a virtual symposium about the Partnership’s progress on nuclear disarmament verification, the role and limitations of technology, how it all fits in the broader context to further goals of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, and more. The full agenda is available below. Click here to read a summary of the event.
September 28, 2021, 8:00-9:30 am (EDT) WATCH EVENT (RECORDING)
Host: Michael Edinger, Foreign Affairs Officer, Bureau of Arms Control, Verification, and Compliance, Department of State, U.S. Department of State (United States)
- Bonnie Jenkins, Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security, U.S. Department of State (United States) READ REMARKS
- Ernest J. Moniz, Co-Chair and CEO, Nuclear Threat Initiative (United States) READ REMARKS
IPNDV’s Work—What Have We Done and What Have We Learned?
- Michael Edinger, Foreign Affairs Officer, Bureau of Arms Control, Verification, and Compliance, Department of State, U.S. Department of State (United States) [Moderator]
- Irmgard Niemeyer, Division Head, Nuclear Safeguards and Security, Forschungszentrum Jülich (Germany)
- Jens Wirstam, Deputy Research Director, Swedish Defense Research Agency (Sweden)
- Malcolm Coxhead, Director for CTBT and Disarmament, Australian Safeguards and Non-proliferation Office (Australia)
September 29, 2021, 8:00-9:30 am (EDT) WATCH EVENT (RECORDING)
Host: Carmen MacDougall, Senior Vice President, Nuclear Threat Initiative
Technology—An Enabler of Progress with Limitations
- Alicia Swift, Program Manager, Nonproliferation and Arms Control R&D, Y-12 National Security Complex (United States) [Moderator]
- Michele Smith, Deputy Director for the Office of Nuclear Verification, National Nuclear Security Administration (United States)
- Klaas van der Meer, Group Head, Nuclear Research Center (SCK CEN) (Belgium)
Nuclear Disarmament Verification in the Broader Context
- Elaine Kanasewich, Acting Director, Emergency Management and Programs Division, Directorate of Security and Safeguard, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (Canada)
- Jørn Osmundsen, Special Envoy for Disarmament Affairs, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Norway)
- Jeffrey Eberhardt, Senior Advisor in the Arms Control, Verification and Compliance Bureau, U.S. Department of State (United States)
This event was a follow on from a planned in-person event scheduled for March 2020 that was ultimately canceled due to COVID-19. View a summary brochure of that event here, and view the poster submissions to the event, showcasing other nuclear disarmament verification work being done around the world.
Support content produced for this symposium was provided by the Government of Canada.