- Working Groups:
- Phase I - Working Group 1: Monitoring and Verification Objectives
- Phase I - Working Group 2: On-Site Inspections
- Phase I - Working Group 3: Technical Challenges and Solutions
- Phase II - Working Group 4: Verification of Nuclear Weapon Declarations
- Phase II - Working Group 5: Verification of Reductions
- Phase II - Working Group 6: Technologies for Verification
This working group’s focus will be to identify and advance a limited number of key verification technologies. These should be based on findings from the three working groups in Phase I, where gaps were identified in the ability to detect and monitor a nuclear explosive device and its key components. Consideration should be given to the development of information barriers to protect proliferation sensitive information. Further aspects of how such technologies can be trusted by both parties (authentication) should be considered together with WGs 4 and 5, including how to meet safety and security requirements within nuclear and explosive facilities (certification). Possible development of nuclear weapon templates, including their feasibility and their uses, also should be explored in greater depth.
The group should look to undertake practical activities including developments and demonstrations where practical. Such activities would be a visible output from IPNDV, and enable outreach and educational experiences.