- Working Groups:
- Phase I - Working Group 1: Monitoring and Verification Objectives
- Phase I - Working Group 2: On-Site Inspections
- Phase I - Working Group 3: Technical Challenges and Solutions
- Phase II - Working Group 4: Verification of Nuclear Weapon Declarations
- Phase II - Working Group 5: Verification of Reductions
- Phase II - Working Group 6: Technologies for Verification
Working Group 6 focused on identifying and evaluating key verification technologies across the IPNDV’s 14- step dismantlement framework. They reviewed requirements for information barriers to protect proliferation-sensitive information when using some verification technologies and evaluated key verification technologies based on the findings from Phase I, where gaps were identified in the ability to detect and monitor a nuclear explosive device and its key components. The other Working Groups provided additional monitoring requirements and Working Group 6 tried to identify verification technologies that could meet their needs. The group also reviewed practical activities, including technology developments by Partner countries, and undertook demonstrations, including an experiment to test the limits of selected passive non-destructive assay nuclear radiation techniques.
The group undertook practical activities including developments and demonstrations. Such activities were a visible output from IPNDV, and enabled outreach and educational experiences.