- Working Groups:
- Phase I - Working Group 1: Monitoring and Verification Objectives
- Phase I - Working Group 2: On-Site Inspections
- Phase I - Working Group 3: Technical Challenges and Solutions
- Phase II - Working Group 4: Verification of Nuclear Weapon Declarations
- Phase II - Working Group 5: Verification of Reductions
- Phase II - Working Group 6: Technologies for Verification
Working Group 5 analyzed and described the essential features of multilateral inspections that can address verification in each step of the IPNDV’s 14-step framework describing the nuclear weapons dismantlement lifecycle, beginning with monitoring the removal of weapons from delivery systems and ending with the disposition of nuclear material from the weapons. They identified overarching verification objectives across the 14 steps and described inspection activities that address the objectives for each step. The group focused on preparing a detailed description of inspection methodologies and the kinds of technologies required to support them. The group also reviewed a range of cross-cutting issues that would affect the design of a future verification regime. Working Group 5 also examined options for the disposition of Special Nuclear Material arising from dismantlement.