- Working Groups:
- Phase I - Working Group 1: Monitoring and Verification Objectives
- Phase I - Working Group 2: On-Site Inspections
- Phase I - Working Group 3: Technical Challenges and Solutions
- Phase II - Working Group 4: Verification of Nuclear Weapon Declarations
- Phase II - Working Group 5: Verification of Reductions
- Phase II - Working Group 6: Technologies for Verification
The focus of this working group was how to verify the reduction of a declared number of nuclear weapons in a State. Consideration was given to how to monitor the dismantlement of a significant number of weapons from deployment to disposition. It was important to consider the process as a whole to identify the key verification activities required to build confidence in the overall elimination process, as well as to examine selected steps in greater detail. The group examined how adequate assurance of dismantlement could be derived from the results of various monitoring activities, as well as supporting declarations and information, over a long period of time. The goal of the group was to develop monitoring and verification approaches, with consideration to the potential trade-off between practicality, intrusiveness, proliferation risk, effectiveness, and necessity.